Lagos State government has shut off the Kiddies section of Wonderland, a reactional area on Monday after an unnamed visitor was electrocuted at the event space.
A teenager who visited the fun plaza to celebrate his Christmas break was reportedly electrocuted by numerous exposed wires near the fun city’s bouncing circle area.
After a joint inspection of the park with the team from the Lagos State Task Force, the Director General of the Lagos State Safety Commission, Mr. Lanre Mojola, told journalists that the intervention had become necessary to stop further exposure of visitors, especially young ones, to accidents that could have been avoided and could have resulted in injury or death.
In addition, Mojola revealed that Mr. Ezekiel Adamu, the event venue’s owner, had refused to carry out the safety measures mandated by the Commission despite several meetings held at the start of the project after an initial safety inspection exercise carried out on the venue to discuss safety violations seen inside the facility.
He continued by saying that closing down the facility until all violations were fixed had become essential and necessary in order to protect users, particularly youngsters, from further harm and to assure the safety of Lagos residents at other events that were scheduled.
The Director General went on to remark that no person or organization was bigger than the State and that it would always ensure Lagosians‘ safety as they celebrated the holiday season.
He advised locals to engage in responsible socializing and warned facility operators in the State to follow the State’s safety regulations on gatherings.